Are you one of those who owns a business and unsure about how to promote it to the world? Do you play it on the radio or make billboards? What about these ads that you see on YouTube and Facebook? When it comes to promoting your business, you’ll have to pick strategies from either group. This begs the question, what are the differences, and which method suits you more? Marketing is that aspect of the business that can never be ignored. A wise entrepreneur will always set aside a separate fund for the marketing purpose. The biggest issue is, we live in the generation where a part of the population does only online transaction while another chunk does not yet know how to use the web net. So, the Traditional Marketing VS Digital Marketing decision becomes all more difficult now. Before coming up with any decision, you need to know the pros and cons of each of them and see whose implementation can be more effective in your business.
Firstly, let’s take a brief look at what they are:
What is Traditional Marketing?
Traditional Marketing refers to the conventional methods of marketing used ever since the concepts of advertisements or marketing came into existence. This advertising focuses on reaching out to the target audience through Newspapers, Magazines, Radio, Television, Billboard advertising along roads and highways etc.
For better understanding, traditional marketing is mainly categorised into two categories:
- ATL (Above the Line) including mass media like Radio, Television and newspapers etc.
- BTL (Below the Line) including the use of direct channels like telemarketing, catalogues, magazines, sponsorships etc.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital or Online marketing is the marketing mode of global village which in this era of the internet will have its influence in every realm of life. The world of digital marketing continues to evolve as long as the technology continues to advance. Digital Marketing is a form of inbound marketing whose goal is to let your customers reach you. The business puts contents or ads to let the individuals find them. And this promotion can be achieved by organic online search, paid search etc. The more they see your content, the more they become familiar with your brand or business and eventually a trust will be building up with your brand.
Digital marketing includes platforms like:
- Social media like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Promotional Ads via emails
- Paid pop-ups
- Clickbait links for viral contents.
Now that we know what traditional and online marketing is, so let us find out the winner of the traditional vs digital marketing debate. Firstly, we are going to lay down the pros and cons of digital marketing vs traditional advertising.
Benefits of Digital Marketing over Traditional ones:
- Reduced Cost: Newspaper ads, television ads and the alike ones costs a lot. Whereas online advertising on the other hand which young entrepreneurs can afford and save up their funding. This helps to expand the scope of business across the boundaries of age and finance.
- Non-intrusive: Traditional Marketing has got more chances of getting ignored because people buying the newspapers do not buy it for the ads in it or the ones buying a magazine for the contents in it and not for the ads. Whereas with online advertising, people they choose what they want to see. It depends on the person’s will whether he will open a promotional e-mail or junk ignore and send it to the trash. Basically, it becomes easier for the business to target its own audience. Therefore, in the battle of traditional vs digital advertising, digital advertising seems a stronger candidate that knows how to intrigue people and not annoy them.
- Higher Exposure: the Traditional advertisement is limited to a certain locality whereas online advertisement reaches out to the entire world so at the end of the day, you are missing out on nothing.
- Higher Engagement: Traditional Marketing is a long and tedious process because you cannot interact with your target audience. You need to wait out for the responses so that you can plan for your next step. Digital Marketing allows you to engage with your audience in real time. Here, you can chat and discuss a lot about your brand or company. But you need to be prepared with a strong public relations team to invest that much time into the marketing budget.
- Quicker Publicity: Traditional vs digital marketing is an almost unfair comparison because the former has no scope to deliver in this regard whereas with the latter there is a chain reaction of shares and comments helping you to reach a new audience and earn a new visitor every second.
- Brand Development: Digital Advertising gives rise to brand image. Here you can have a whole website focusing only and only to your business instead of a column on a newspaper page. You can also set up your own blog post or page on Social Media. Henceforth, with digital marketing, you can engage more people with your brand name so that they become familiar with your brand or business.
- Real time Results: With Traditional Marketing, you must wait for weeks before the boosts start to turn up. Whereas in this debate online or digital marketing wins again owing to its quicker results. You can keep check to everything in real time including the number of visitors, most engaging time of the day, conversion rates and bounce rates as well. When you have the result handy in real time, you waste no time in taking further actions.
- Easy Analytics: With the help of Google Analytics, you can instantly figure out what is working for your business and what not. Inbound traffic, conversion rate, profit and the general trend of the interested audience can also be measured in real time. This step helps people opting for online marketing to stay a big step ahead of the ones relying on traditional marketing.
- Strategy Refinement: When you know how things will turn out to be, you will have a chance to improve them from bad to good and from good to the best of all. Online advertising vs traditional advertising statistics help you to find out what is working for your business and what not, With the help of Google Analytics, you can get the online statistics almost instantly and make the necessary adjustments as required. But the traditional statistics would be too late to make any concrete strategy for the betterment of the strategy on time.
Benefits of Traditional Marketing over Digital Marketing:
There are some points where the traditional marketing wins over the digital marketing in the battle. Few of them are:
- Simpler Process: We should always keep in mind that there are still some people who are not comfortable with the internet, even some with the idea of digitalisation. This reason even if digital marketing wins over traditional marketing but it can never completely overthrow traditional marketing means.
- More Personal: Real and personal approaches always make people want to take something more seriously. You can totally use your blog post to create your online presence and interact with a lot of audience, but it remains virtual. This is the reason why the door to door promotion will never be obsolete.
- Materials can be kept for future: The best thing about traditional advertising that those things are tangible in nature and can be kept securely for future. But in case of online marketing, all you can do is take a screenshot of them which you can lose unless of course, if you save them on Cloud. The biggest win for traditional advertisement is the hardcopy of the material that the audience can easily access to which makes them remember about the product and service more than something what the saw once while surfing the internet.
While some people like to take sides in the Traditional Marketing VS Digital Marketing debate, it wouldn’t make sense to choose one over the other. They complement each other perfectly and learning from both sides will only make you a better marketer. However, as the world transitions to a digital future, upskilling yourself with tech skills would be a prudent choice. DVDs are being replaced by streaming services, newspapers are porting over to online subscriptions and the smartphone is changing the way we consume information. So, if you find yourself reaching for your phone the first thing in the morning, checking it every few minutes when you’re out, or spend significant time online, then you know the importance of picking up digital skills. Henceforth, a smart blend of both enabled by a good analysis of Traditional Marketing VS Digital Marketing advertising statistics will get your brand or business where you want it to be.